Mesquite, TX – October 14, 2021 – On Oct. 12, the City of Mesquite hosted a Town Hall public information meeting to educate the community about the Solid Waste Ordinance changes that were put into place to address litter and community appearance. Solid waste customers had the opportunity to ask City staff questions regarding the requirements to place trash in a trash bag, place the trash bag in a trash can as well as limits on when trash and bulk items can be set out for pick up. Watch a video of the meeting below.
The specific revisions to the city’s Solid Waste Ordinance include:
- Requires all trash to be secured in bags between 13 to 32 gallons in size. Loose items placed on or around the bags(s) will not be allowed.
- Requires all trash to be placed in trash cans 20 - 48 gallons in size. Those customers with cans larger than 48 gallons will be allowed to use them until they get a properly sized can. Loose trash placed in the container will not be allowed.
- Limits trash and recyclables to be placed out for collection no earlier than 5:30 p.m. the day before scheduled pickup and no later than 7:30 a.m. the day of scheduled pickup.
- Limits large items, appliances, and bulk trash to be placed out for collection no earlier than 24 hours prior to scheduled collection day. This does not apply to yard waste and brush collection.
- Limits all bulk trash placed for collection to under eight cubic yards (approximately 2 full size pick-up truck beds or 8 stoves), which should fit into an area measured 5 feet tall by 4 feet deep by 11 feet long. This does not apply to yard waste and brush collection.
Click here for an informational flyer. For more details on the Solid Waste Ordinance changes, visit www.cityofmesquite.com/SolidWaste.