Social Media Guidelines
How to Contact Us
The City of Mesquite places importance on public feedback and its role into the governance of the community. Mesquite’s digital media and social networking sites are open to comments and public input. These are just a few of the many tools used to keep the public informed. City staff will attempt to address comments and questions on a consistent basis. For specific service requests, please use the city’s online form at www.cityofmesquite.com/myMesquite to allow staff the ability to track its responses and efficiencies.
Social Media Guidelines
The City of Mesquite intends to promote effective communication and maintain a respectful dialogue on its social media channels. In that spirit, the guidelines for the public to post comments on any official City of Mesquite digital media or social networking site will maintain a productive and open forum for community discussion. City staff will monitor posted comments to ensure each is constructive and suitable for all readers, while respecting a range of opinions and points of view. Posted comments must comply with the following guidelines:
- Comments must be civil and may not contain slanderous, libelous, malicious, offensive, threatening, profane, or insulting language.
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation will not be permitted.
- References to the personality of individuals, personal attacks, or potentially libelous statements; or those that are considered harassment will not be permitted.
- Advertising or promotional announcements will not be permitted.
- Comments must be within the scope of the topic under discussion.
- Comments cannot include personally identifiable information, such as an address, phone number, social security number or other sensitive information.
- Comments of a sexual nature or links to sexual content will not be permitted.
- Comments cannot represent a person other than the one posting the comment.
- Comments containing links to other web sites or pages must be relevant to the topic.
- Comments cannot serve electoral campaign purposes. Political messages will not be published except for announcements of City elections or voter encouragement campaigns.
- Comments by external parties on the City’s social media platforms are not official public testimony concerning any project or program. An opinion expressed on a City social media platform is posted for discussion only and is not a substitute for a formal statement in a public hearing process. The City does not necessarily agree with content posted by the public and those posts do not constitute a binding representation, agreement or an endorsement on the part of the City.
- Comments encouraging illegal activity will not be permitted.
- Solicitations of commerce will not be permitted.
- Participants are responsible for what they post. Comments must not breach any law, confidentiality, or copyright.