Non-Resident Library Card Beginning October 1, 2020, the Mesquite Public Library System will charge a $25 nonrefundable annual fee for non-residents who apply for a library card. The non-resident library cards will be valid for 1 year and have the same privileges and fees as resident library cards. The annual fee may be amended and changed by the Mesquite City Council, as deemed necessary. Replacement cards are $1.00 and are only valid until the original expiration date.
Acceptable Photo ID
- Current Texas driver’s license
- Texas Department of Public Safety
- ID card issued by a recreation department or school
- Employee ID
- Resident Alien Registration Card
- Military ID
- Any other document of an official nature that includes name and photo
Acceptable Proof of Current Address in Your Name
- Current Texas driver’s license, temporary driver’s license or learner’s permit
- Texas Department of Public Safety ID
- Current utility bill (telephone, water, electricity, natural gas, cable)
- Current property tax receipt
- Current report card issued from a school
- Current personalized check
- Voter’s registration card
- Official rent receipt, rental agreement, contract or lease
- Personalized checkbook
- Any other document of an official natures that supplies proof of residence
Library Card Application
A library card is issued for a period of three years. At that time, we will ask to re-verify your information to extend the card for another three years.
A parent or legal guardian can apply for a library card for a child 13 years old and younger. Teens aged 14-17 years can apply for a library card on their own; a parent’s signature is required on the application to allow access to the library’s Internet Access computers and Freegal Movies.
You may borrow two items when you first apply. After that first visit, there is a limit of 20 books; there will be limits on the number of other items that can be borrowed at a time.
Most items can be borrowed for a three week period; the exceptions are DVDs which can be borrowed for one week. OverDrive e-Books and eAudiobooks can be borrowed for two weeks.
Items can be renewed for an additional loan period unless:
- A hold has been placed on the item
- The item is already overdue
- There are fees totaling $5.00 or more on the card
For answers to more questions about Library Cards, please read the Circulation Policy.
Online eCardsThe Mesquite Public Library offers an online eCard. An eCard is a virtual library card that allows access to all online library services, including eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines and other electronic resources.
Note: If you already have a library card from the Mesquite Public Library, you will not be issued an eCard. A traditional library card provides the same online privileges.
Due to the overwhelming number of requests for eCards, the Mesquite Public Library will only be providing cards for Mesquite residents only.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Please check with your local library for eBooks and other digital resources.
Mesquite Public Library System eCards:
- Are available to any Mesquite resident 14 years or older.
- Are good for 3 years.
- May be renewed online.