Become a Firefighter
Are you interested in becoming a member of the Mesquite Fire Department?
The application period for 2022 opens Monday, October 18!
Check this page for updates on the application process.
Requirements to Become a Mesquite Firefighter
To become a Mesquite Firefighter, you must be:
- A U.S. Citizen.
- At least 21 years of age, but no older than 35 years of age.
Candidates must have completed a minimum of either:
- Sixty (60) semester hours of college credit in general subjects from an accredited college or university*, or
- Two (2) years of active military service with an honorable discharge plus 30 semester hours of college credit in any subject from an accredited college or university*
College Credit Requirements
- Developmental/remedial courses are not accepted
- Grades lower than "C" are not accepted
- A letter grade of "P" will be accepted
- Vision: A candidate’s vision must be correctable to 20/30, and with no color blindness.
- Hearing: Candidates may not be certified as eligible if audiometric testing shows average hearing loss in their unaided better ear greater than 40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz when the audiometric device is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5.
- Candidates must be mentally alert, have the ability to get along well with others, have a willingness to perform assigned duties and responsibilities, be conscientious and dependable and in excellent physical condition.
- Candidates must posses a valid Texas Class A or B Driver’s License (upon assignment) and meet City driving requirements. Candidates must pass a qualifying physical agility and medical examination, including drug testing.
- Drug usage may be a disqualification, depending on the substance used and frequency of use.
Minimum requirements are set forth by the Civil Service Commission and are subject to change.
Base Salary (Effective January 1, 2021)
- $63,147.02 per year starting
- $66,300.98 per year after one year of service
- $69,615.83 per year after two years of service
- $73,102.29 per year after three years of service
- $76,747.43 per year after four years of service
- $80,594.17 per year after five years of service
- $84,623.88 per year after six years of service
- Life Insurance
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 10 Paid Holidays/Year
- Three Weeks Paid Vacation/Year
- Sick Leave
- Texas Municipal Retirement System and Social Security
- Longevity Pay
- Certification Pay
- Bilingual Pay
- Educational Incentive
In addition to a completed online employment application, all applicants must submit the following:
- Valid Driver License
- College Transcript:
- Transcripts submitted must be official copies. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Transcripts must show courses taken, letter grades received and credit hours earned.
- DD-214 Military Discharge Document, Member-4 Page (if applicable)