The City election, for the purpose of electing a Mayor and Councilmembers for Places 1 – 6, is held in odd-numbered years on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. The next election will be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2021.
The City contracts with Dallas County and Kaufman County Election Departments to conduct joint elections along with other entities. Participating in joint elections enables the City to reduce election expenses and is more convenient for voters who can visit one location to vote on all issues.
The Mayor is elected at-large and is voted into office by all qualified voters of the City for a two-year term. The Mayor is limited to four consecutive two-year terms.
Councilmembers elected to fill Places 1 – 6 are voted into office by qualified voters of the respective districts, which corresponds with the district of which the voter is a resident, for a two-year term and must reside in the respective district. Councilmembers may serve for four consecutive two-year terms and four consecutive two-year terms as Mayor, for a total of eight consecutive two-year terms combined, without a two-year break in service.The current Mayor and City Council are as follows:
Mayor – Bruce Archer
Place 1 – Sherry Wisdom
Place 2 – Kenny Green
Place 3 – Robert Miklos
Place 4 – Tandy Boroughs
Place 5 – B. W. Smith
Place 6 – Dan Aleman
Requirements for City Council Candidates
- Must be a United States citizen (Section 141.001 of the Texas Election Code)
- Must be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable (Section 141.001 of the Texas Election Code)
- Must have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote (Section 141.001 of the Texas Election Code)
- Must have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities (Section 141.001 of the Texas Election Code)
- Must have resided in the City of Mesquite for at least one year next prior to the election (Article IV, Section 3 of City Charter)
- No person shall be eligible as a candidate for member of the City Council in Places 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 unless the person has been, for a period of not less than 120 days prior to any City Council election, and is at the time of such election, a bona fide resident of the district in which he or she seeks election. A candidate for Mayor may reside in any portion of the City. (Article IV, Section 4b of City Charter)
- In order to determine which Council District you reside in, go to https://gisservice.cityofmesquite.com/portal/apps/View/index.html?appid=56b05e37d50d4ab68ba3833528b496ce and enter your address in the top left corner.
- Must be a qualified voter of the City of Mesquite as of the time of filing of petition and shall not serve as Mayor or Councilmember unless he or she is a qualified voter of the City of Mesquite at the time of election (Article IV, Section 3 of City Charter)
- Must complete “Application for a Place on the Ballot” (Section 143.004 of the Texas Election Code)
- Must present “Petition for Place on the Ballot” with a minimum of 25 signatures of qualified voters of the territory from which the office sought is elected. (Section 143.005d of the Texas Election Code & Article IV, Section 4c of the City Charter) (Does not apply to Mayor as this position is elected by the entire electorate)
- Must complete “Appointment of Campaign Treasurer” form (Section 252.001 of the Texas Election Code)
- Must complete “Acceptance of Nomination” form
- Tuesday, November 2, 2021 - Mayor and City Councilmembers for Places 1 - 6
- First day to file for place on the ballot - Saturday, July 17, 2021 (moved to Monday, July 19, 2021, which is next business day)
- Last day to file for place on the ballot - Monday, August 16, 2021, at 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 7, 2023 - Mayor and City Councilmembers for Places 1 - 6