Mesquite, TX – October 8, 2021 – The City of Mesquite will host a Town Hall Tuesday public information meeting to educate the community about the Solid Waste Ordinance changes that were put into place to address litter and community appearance. The meeting will provide solid waste customers the opportunity to ask City staff questions regarding the requirements to place trash in a trash bag, place the trash bag in a trash can as well as limits on when trash and bulk items can be set out for pick up. The meeting will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. at Mesquite City Hall, 757 N. Galloway Avenue in the Training Rooms. For more details on the Solid Waste Ordinance changes visit www.cityofmesquite.com/SolidWaste.
Curt J. Cassidy, Director of Public Works, said, “We look forward to speaking with our customers and providing education on the changes to this service. Our solid waste staff understands that customer service will be very important. We want to make sure our customers know that we are here to help them.” Cassidy shared that any solid waste customer that has a special circumstance that may prevent them from conforming to the changes is encouraged to call the Solid Waste Division 24-hour message line at 972-216-6285 or 972-216-6284.
The specific revisions to the city’s Solid Waste Ordinance, approved by the City Council at their June 21 meeting, include:
- Requires all trash to be secured in bags between 13 to 32 gallons in size. Loose items placed on or around the bags(s) will not be allowed.
- Requires all trash to be placed in trash cans 20 - 48 gallons in size. Those customers with cans larger than 48 gallons will be allowed to use them until they get a properly sized can. Loose trash placed in the container will not be allowed.
- Limits trash and recyclables to be placed out for collection no earlier than 5:30 p.m. the day before scheduled pickup and no later than 7:30 a.m. the day of scheduled pickup.
- Limits large items, appliances, and bulk trash to be placed out for collection no earlier than 24 hours prior to scheduled collection day. This does not apply to yard waste and brush collection.
- Limits all bulk trash placed for collection to under eight cubic yards (approximately 2 full size pick-up truck beds or 8 stoves), which should fit into an area measured 5 feet tall by 4 feet deep by 11 feet long. This does not apply to yard waste and brush collection.