Mesquite, TX – January 13, 2021 – Qualified Mesquite residents have access to a variety of recovery programs, like mental health counseling, utility and housing assistance and much more through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. The City of Mesquite received over $1,500,000 in Community Development Block Grant – COVID-19 (CDBG-CV) funds for emergency assistance to individuals, families, public service agencies and small businesses directly impacted by COVID-19. View the new CDBG COVID-19 brochure to learn more about the offered programs.
Below are a few of the programs covered through the funds during 2021.
- The AZAR Foundation is offering mental health counseling, free- of-charge to any Mesquite resident who is in a mental crisis or in need of referral services.
- Mission East Dallas is offering medical, dental and mental health counseling services. While the focus is on low income and uninsured individuals and families, MED sees and treats everyone regardless of their inability to pay or their insurances status and they do so in a COVID-19 safe environment.
- Helen’s Project provides case management including housing assistance, street outreach, emergency financial assistance, transportation services and mental health counseling services.
- The Mesquite Independent School District seeks to help diminish homelessness among young adults through their Opening Doors program. Young adults, aged 17 to 24, may qualify for thirty days assistance of hotel accommodations. The district also provides a safe and nurturing after-school environment for counselor-recommended high school and middle school students through the Safe Landing program.
- Sharing Life Community Outreach offers utility and housing assistance programs. They also offer a myriad of services like a food pantry, clothing closet, financial assistance, empowerment classes, holiday and education programs.
- Hope’s Door New Beginning offers domestic violence counseling and provides emergency shelter.
- The Family Place offers domestic violence counseling and all their services are available in Spanish and English.