Mesquite, TX – October 8, 2021 – The Mesquite Public Library System recently completed a conversion to Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to replace the library’s barcode system for collection monitoring. This RFID system uses radio waves to identify library materials. This new system simplifies both the circulation and inventory of library materials.
Acquired from Bibliotheca, RFID stores information on small tags placed on each item. The tags contain an integrated circuit and an antenna, which transmit data about the item to an RFID reader or workstation. RFID tags also can be used for theft detection, eliminating the need for additional security strips on each item.
During the months-long conversion, the library system has:
- Placed RFID tags on over 170,000 items in the collection
- Added several RFID workstations for use by library staff
- Installed a self-checkout kiosk for library visitors at each building
- Replaced the security gates at both libraries
- Added software that allows the RFID tags to interact with the existing Integrated Library System, used for circulating materials and storing account information
For questions, visit www.cityofmesquite.com/Library.