Police Explorer Program
Mesquite Police Explorer Post #145The Mesquite Police Department sponsors Police Explorer Post #145. Membership is open to young Mesquite residents ages 14 (and completed the 8th grade) through 20 years old with an interest in learning more about careers in the field of law enforcement. Annual participant dues are $15.
Exploring has four specific goals:
- Gain practical experience and exposure to law enforcement
- Engage in program activities emphasizing:
- Career opportunities
- Life skills
- Character education
- Learning in a caring and fun environment
Participation in Police Exploring includes activities such as:
- Class-room instruction on various aspects of the law, legal system, and police practices
- Role-playing in police-based scenarios
- Community service opportunities
- Team building
- Competition with other Explorer Posts
- Ride-alongs with officers
RequirementsFormal uniforms are provided by the Mesquite Police Department; however, each explorer is asked to purchase their own pair of black boots. Uniforms are the property of the explorer and consist of:
- BDU trousers
- Name tag and epaulets
- Black uniform boots
Program participants may purchase the following optional equipment:
- Duty belt
- Handcuffs and case
- BDU’s for competition events
Application ProcessParticipants must submit a completed application and meet the following qualifications:
- Have at least a C average for all classes and maintain a C average while participating in the program.
- Pass a background check conducted on all explorer applicants.
- Display high morals, integrity and honesty.