Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ's about the Housing Choice Voucher Program

Who is eligible?
Eligibility for a housing choice voucher is determined based on the household's annual gross income and the Public Housing Agency's definition of a family. Participation is limited to U.S. citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. [By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its vouchers to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income.] Median income levels are published annually by HUD and vary by location within the state.

How do I apply?
The Mesquite Housing Division will re-open the waiting list to accept applications when most people on the waiting list have been served. When the list is about to be opened, a notice and pre-application form will be placed in local newspapers and media outlets as well as on the this website. The waiting list is currently closed.

How does the application process work?
Individuals or households in need of rental assistance must first place their name on the Housing Authority Section 8 Voucher Waiting List. When your family reaches the top of the list, you will then be asked to complete an application to determine your eligibility for the HCVP.

Will I need to produce any documentation?
Yes, the HA representative will request whatever documentation is needed (e.g., birth certificates, tax returns) to verify the information given on your application. The PHA will also rely on direct verification from your employer, etc. You will be asked to sign a form to authorize release of pertinent information to the PHA.

When will I be notified?
Mesquite Housing will provide written notification once your name is reached on the waiting list. It is important to keep your mailing address up to date.

How is rent determined?
Rent is determined based on household income. Typically, renters pay about 30% of adjusted income, or 10% of gross household income. Rent is calculated in accordance with HUD regulations.

What if someone in my family does not have a photo ID?
Photo IDs must be submitted by everyone in your household over the age of 18.

What if someone in my family does not have a social security number/card or birth certificate?
All members of your family are required to have a social security card and birth certificate.