Firefighter Employment Qualifications
Requirements to Become a Mesquite Firefighter
- Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Candidates must be not less than 21 years of age nor more than 35 years of age
- Candidates must have completed a minimum of either:
- Sixty (60) semester hours of college credit in general subjects from an accredited college or university*
- Two (2) years of active military service with an honorable discharge plus 30 semester hours of college credit in any subject from an accredited college or university*
College Credit Requirements:
- developmental/remedial courses not accepted
- grades lower than "C" not accepted
- letter grade of "P" will be accepted
vision must be at least 20/100 uncorrected, correctable to 20/30
with no color blindness.
may not be certified as eligible if audiometric testing shows
average hearing loss in their unaided better ear greater than
40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz when the audiometric
devise is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5.
must be mentally alert, have the ability to get along well with
others, willing to perform assigned duties and responsibilities,
be conscientious and dependable and in excellent physical condition.
must posses a valid Texas Class A or B Driver’s License
(upon assignment) and meet City driving requirements.
will be expected to participate in and pass a qualifying physical
agility and medical examination, including drug testing. Drug usage may be a disqualification depending on the substance used and frequency of use.
*An “accredited college or university” is an institution of higher education that is accredited by one of the following agencies: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, or Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Coursework from a foreign college or university will also be accepted after being reviewed by an agency that is certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) to determine the course taken, credit received and letter grade earned.
*** Minimum requirements are set forth by
the Civil Service Commission and are subject to change. ***
- $55,257.36 per year starting
- $58,018.33 per year after one year of service
- $60,917.99 per year after two years of service
- $63,968.93 per year after three years of service
- $67,158.55 per year after four years of service
- $70,524.68 per year after five years of service
and Major Medical Insurance
Weeks Paid Vacation Yearly
Municipal Retirement System and Social Security
In addition to a completed online employment application, all applicants must submit the following:
- College Transcript:
- Must be an official transcript. Photocopies WILL NOT be accepted
- Transcript must show course taken, letter grade received, and credit earned
- DD-214 Military Discharge Document, Member-4 Page (if applicable)
For more information, please contact:
City of Mesquite Human Resources
1515 N. Galloway Avenue
Mesquite, Texas 75149
We will begin to accept applications in December 2014
for the Firefighter exam in February 2015